Known for its young population and potential for economic growth, Southeast Asia continues to attract global capital and talent to the region. As part of Alibaba Cloud’s Project AsiaForward initiative, Alibaba Cloud is partnering with Southeast Asia tech ecosystem partners, including Thomas Tsao, founding partner of Gobi Partners; Dzuleira Abu Bakar, group CEO of MRANTI Corp; Mohan Belani, CEO and co-founder of e27; and many more. Together, these stakeholders will recognize the diverse achievements of tech-driven startups based in Southeast Asia.
AsiaStar 10x10 will feature 100 companies, communities, and projects that operate in ten categories across the region. Through this program, Alibaba Cloud will celebrate the technological innovation of Southeast Asia with leading regional investors, government agencies, and established media outlets.
Here are the ten categories for AsiaStar 10x10:
- Trailblazers are Series B to pre-IPO companies that have played an essential role in driving technological innovation in the region. By developing products that have broad coverage, good business performance, and notable influence, these firms continue to attract the attention of global competitors and investors, and are paving the way for the next generation of startups.
- Gamechangers made moves that set precedents or broke records, demonstrating to regional startups and other stakeholders where the bar can be. These enterprises continue to push the envelope as the Southeast Asian tech scene evolves.
- The Growth list includes promising early-stage startups that are developing unique and innovative products and solutions. These enterprises have raised funds up to Series B. Their trajectories suggest that they may bring about important changes in the markets where they operate.
- Enablers are SaaS companies that are providing crucial support to enterprises of every stripe. They are the cornerstone in the process of digitizing conventional businesses—an important step in modernizing the region’s overall economy.
- Explorers are Chinese startups that have successfully ventured into the region and established a strong presence. Southeast Asia is home to important overseas markets for China-based tech firms. Overcoming cultural nuances, regulatory differences, and hurdles in localization requires adaptive mindsets and skill sets.
- Open Source highlights projects that have accelerated the region’s digitalization by giving other entities the tools they need to build new applications. By placing an emphasis on transparency, scalability, and ease of use, open-source projects are speeding up the region’s pace of technological advancement.
- The Frontiers category includes startups that are developing deeply technical products. This includes quantum computing, biotech and medical advancements, space tech, and other advanced solutions that may fundamentally disrupt the status quo, even if their vision seems out of this world.
- The Impact category comprises startups that have brought about significant grassroots-level advancements where they operate. These enterprises have socially driven missions and purpose, and may even be taking their models into new markets to improve more lives.
- Investors provide the fuel that startups need. They are the backbone of growth for any business that is seeking to scale. By considering their assets under management, portfolio sizes, number of exits, and the overall value creation for regional startups, only investors that are leaving a lasting impact will be showcased.
- Launchpads such as educational institutions and incubators provide safe environments to nurture the next great startups, giving new entrepreneurs the chance to hone their ideas and business acumen before they step out on their own.
Among the ten categories, Growth, Enablers, Open Source, Frontiers, and Impact will be open to applicants who wish to be included among the AsiaStar 10x10. Only applicants that have made a meaningful impact on Southeast Asia’s tech scene between July 2021 and June 2022 will be selected.
The submissions will be evaluated by representatives of government agencies, investors, and media outlets to ensure a fair process. To learn more about the AsiaStar 10x10, head over to asiastar10x10.kr-asia.com. Please visit this link to submit an application or nomination for the 100 highlighted companies.